Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Closing a Few Doors


I read a very interesting article in The New York Times entitled “The Advantages of Closing a Few Doors” (which you can read in full here), explicating a study regarding the reason(s) for which people try so hard to keep ‘those doors’ open in their lives.

Is it safe to assume that we all have ‘those doors’ which we try to keep open . . . just in case? I think so. I know I have a few. The article reiterated that which I already knew but at times stubbornly do not want to acknowledge, that we keep ‘those doors’ open & make excuses for doing so because it is too painful to let go.
Over the past few years I realized that in order to move forward, I not only have to stop living my life in fear of making bad choices and/or getting hurt, but start taking chances and be willing to close some of ‘those doors’ behind me. Time and again I am reminded of the fact that my life is in God’s hands. And, I acknowledge that by keeping my options open . . . just in case . . . I am demonstrating a lack of faith. He opens and closes doors for reasons that I will never fully understand, but I have to continually learn to trust in Him, for He himself says, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

Kristen

* “God never slams a door in your face without opening a box of Girl Guide cookies." Eat, Pray, Love. *

No comments:

Post a Comment